Monday, April 6, 2009

A uni Nanny

I thought leaving the language centre means I dont have to babysit any kids anymore. I didnt know, now I have to even babysit university students.

Today I have a new class, new students as it's a new term. I have a hyperactive student in my class. He's 25 but still acting like a kid, yeah, is the one who's famous for his line 'Teacher, why you no attention me?" When I glared at him to indicate him to be quiet, he pouted then walked to the back of the class.

The arabic students are afraid to be outshone by the iranians, so they made complaints at the office. Oh man, it was only the first day of class. And we were playing games. If you feel intimidated, try to outshine them.

In a way, it was my bad too. I should have controlled the class. It is my weakness. I dont know how to controll them, one of the students wrote in the feedback sheet.

I have to take care of their feelings. The weaker ones will annoy the strongers. I cant always wait till the weaker ones to fully understand the grammar rules. The good ones will be bored and annoyed, and yawned in front of me.

I always wonder how did Ms Evelyn do this? Balance the scale? Or were we too sane or are they insane? And they are too demanding. They seem will never understand there's no free lunch in this world. If you want to be promoted to a higher level, work hard. But 'hardworking' doesnt seem to appear in their lexicons.

Ended up we have to babysit them. To teach them from manner to grammar, then to a uni students who able to stand on their own feet.

No comments: